Friday, March 28, 2008

Easter


Easter at Penland is a bit different- all the studios make eggs, there's an open invitation to the local families to join us, a potluck brunch, and then a mad free-for-all of egg hunting. They're on display for a while first- the textiles, (in this case, bead) class made felted eggs. the glass shop made some open-ended ones that they passed on to the books and wood classes who filled them with tiny letterpress messages, or woodshavings. we in clay had a deco party involving fake majolica and cheap beer. someone in metals jammed a bunch of puzzle pieces together and made a very sweet very heavy iron egg...

and then they are hidden. when the bell chimes, the "kids" get a head start, and I tell you, they are mean sometimes. One of my classmates had her hand on a glass egg, the only one she found, and some greedy little girl with a whole basketfull scratched her wrist in an attempt to wrestle it away from my friend. and I was introduced to another young lady- Sandra, who found mine- at some late hour I painted a dragon coming out of one of the ones I made- i was surprised to like how it turned out, seeing as how I rarely even draw anymore. she was psyched. here she is-

well, she's at the top of the page-

No comments: